How to avoid the Part D penalty

Part D

Late penalties apply to two Medicare programs: Medicare Part B and Medicare Part D. Sometimes, enrolling late in either of these Parts can lead to penalties — some are even permanent. When it comes to Part D, there is a monthly penalty that can last the entire time you are enrolled in Medicare! Fortunately, there…

Read More

Do All Hospitals Accept Medicare?

Doctor reading chart

At some point in their lives, everyone needs hospital care. Do all hospitals accept Medicare? It’s important to know the ins and outs of Medicare so that you understand the hospital coverage and benefits you receive as a Medicare beneficiary.  Not all hospitals accept Medicare, but luckily, the vast majority of hospitals do. Because there…

Read More

How Much Does Medicare Pay For Surgery?

Doctor tending to surgery patient

Many of us experience anxiety when preparing for surgery. The last thing we want to think about is our financial situation. However, it’s important to prepare for the probability of out-of-pocket costs. Luckily, Medicare is there to help reduce your bill (and stress). Let’s take a look at your possible out-of-pocket costs for surgery and…

Read More

Copayments vs. Coinsurance: How do they affect Medicare costs?

Woman calculating Medicare Costs with a calculator.

Medicare offers competitive health care coverage at a low price (sometimes even $0 premiums), though it only covers about 80% of typical health care costs. The other 20% of Medicare costs is made up of copayments, coinsurance, and other out-of-pocket expenses (like prescription prices). It’s important to be informed of these potential out-of-pocket costs before…

Read More